Sunday, October 5, 2014

View from the Große Arnspitz (2196mt)

Early morning dew before leaving home in Seefeld

After just over a year I tried to climb the große Arnspitz at 2196meters but only reached the saddle due to sickness. I started 2 hours after I had breakfast running from Giessenbach towards Scharnitz and then hiked up via Porta Claudia. It is a big climb and with no full stomach, my energy was running out before I reach the saddle and got sicker every step getting higher. That's why I finished at the saddle instead of the große Arnspitz.




So a new year and a fresh start. 
At 7am I had a good breakfast and my friend picked me up around 7.30 to drive to Scharnitz were we started our walk. The parking lot is just at the foot of the große Arnspitz and left around 8am including the dog of my friend.  


Just below the saddle you will find this mountain hut at 1930 meters, the Arnspitz hütte. It is always open so you can stay overnight if needed, max 2 persons. It is a so called emergency hut.

Arnspitz hütte
Passing the saddle we continued our path boards the top and the views were getting better. Lots of wildlife to see…



The path from the saddle is more rocky and steeper. Sometimes need both hands and feet just to get a better grip. For the dog no problem as he was easily running up and had a blast.



Friend with dog near top of the große Arnspitz

Around 11am we reached the top of the große Arnsppitz and again stunned by the views of the Karwendel Mountains, Wetterstein Mountains, the Arnspitz Mountains and the valleys of Tirol and Bavaria.

The Arnplattenspitz seen from the große Arnspitz is only 25meters lower


Looking towards Mittenwald - Bavaria

Seefeld in the middle

Standing at the top of the große Arnspitz

1 comment: